Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default OT? Energy tariff madness

I actually emailed EDF about their latest hike and the lady said they were
not told anything about the new price rise yet, the first they heard was on
the news.
Rather says it all does it not.
Mushroom management at its best.

She suggested that I'd probably get the best deal by looking for aquote
from them before the price rise kicks in as the quotes are computer
generated and last for a year when you sign up so although it will be higher
for a couple of months than it would have been if I leave it, it might well
be a winner after it goes up as it will be fixed for the whole year. However
if it goes down, you might end up paying too much.
One gets the distinct impression the whole thing is grabbed out of thin air
as nobody really knows what is going on.
I have other things to think of with power companies.
A: I only have Electricity, so quotes from other vendors are often higher
B: I need to make sure I can get readable bills by email.
The problem often is that the bills many send out via email or on line are
just photos of what you would get in the post, which then needs to be
optically character recognised to read it for a blind user.
On top of that many of the other companies are just fitting smart meters
but the inaccessible kind without the speech on the remote unit and I'd
rather hang on for the new one to be ready, which according to Offgen it is,
but nobody else even acknowledges there is one but EDF and I'm still trying
to get a straight answer from them. At present they tell me it cannot cope
with economy 7, which I find hard to imagine as it is after all just a
different timed costing of units at certain hours of the day. Hardly rocket
science.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Jeff Layman wrote:

How can anyone work their way through this insanity of tariffs? I know
there are apps and webpages designed to help you through the maze, but
should Ofgem be allowing this in the first place?

Whilst I quite agree about the insanity of the current situation,
I don't really see a happy ending any time soon.

If the utilities were somehow constrained to limit their tariffs,
or automatically give everybody the best deal, simple maths
suggests that those of us who have been busily changing deals
would actually be worse off, since they would still strive to
maintain the same overall profit levels.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.