Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 5:39:33 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Tue, 11
Apr 2017 16:05:13 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Just having security updates is not a supported product.

Nice try, but!, that's not what you wrote originally.

You wrote:

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of any
browsers for XP.

Which isn't true.

In the context of the OP, who is upgrading a system FOR THE FUTURE,
it is true , because Mozilla has ended all support other than security
updates. Security updates are the last part of support to go, and even
that is only committed for JUST 5 MORE MONTHS. And even XP has no
support period, not even security updates, from MSFT. Is that a
supported environment? And over this, you want to pick stupid nits?
The OP needs a browser for the future, at best FF is there for just
5 months!

"Important - Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista
Firefox version 52 will be the last complete update for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Security updates will be released, but no new features.
Why is Firefox support ending for Windows XP and Vista users?
Firefox is one of the only browsers to offer any support for Windows XP and Vista. Microsoft itself ended support for Windows XP in 2014 and will end support for Windows Vista in 2017. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and can be dangerous to use, which makes it difficult to maintain Firefox on those versions."

Now, if you were a computer consultant and had a client who was
upgrading a desktop system and asked if Firefox was a supported browser
that they should use, what would you tell them?

"Well, let's see if you are running a CNC machine......, blah, blah,
blah.... Firefox is still supported, blah blah, blah.

I gave him the simple, correct, short answer. FF isn't supported
for what he's doing. Mozilla has ended all support except for
security updates, and even that is only guaranteed for just 5 months.
To you, that's "supported" and worth a whole big detour into the
wilderness. Good grief!

If they guy had asked, are there still security updates for Firefox
for a few more months, I would have given a different answer.
Again CONTEXT is everything.

Again, what was the CONTEXT? Someone upgrading a system for the future.

The future does NOT include Windows XP or Windows 7.

Nor obviously Firefox for XP, yet here you are, disagreeing, arguing
and misleading the OP. If he listens to me, he realizes FF isn't
supported on XP. If he listened to you, he thinks it is supported
and apparently peachy keen for his upgrade scenario, because *again*,
that was the context of the question!

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of any
browsers for XP.

The OP shouldn't have to pay for your ignorance of the subject
matter.

My "cost"? ROFL. If he listened to me, he's be on a modern
browser that is supported. Listening to you, he'd put Firefox for XP
on the system he plans to upgrade, because according to you, it's
"supported". ROFL

Not that it matters either way, the OP has foolishly chosen
to purchase Windows 7. Waste of money... but, hey, it's the OPs
money and the OPs equipment. What's that saying? a fool and his
money are soon parted.. right? Well...

Wow, and a minute ago you accused me of wasting his money? Now
money doesn't matter? ROFL

And to top it off, this is for XP, and MSFT isn't even providing
security updates for XP itself. Yet you claim Firefox on XP is
"supported"? ROFL

Despite your efforts to move the goal posts when called out on your
ignorance displayed he

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of any
browsers for XP.

Firefox is still being 'updated' for Windows XP. Security updates,
are, still updates.

Security updates are not the only part of product support, which is
a concept you clearly don't understand. Security updates are the very
last part of support to go and even that is going in just 5 months!

[snip]

Idiot, that is the PAST! Mozilla has clearly said, NOTHING BUT
SECURITY UPDATES and those only for 5 months!

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of any
browsers for XP.

Sorry, but, I knew atleast one browser company was still doing
updates for a browser for XP. The fact you didn't, doesn't make me
the idiot. Attempts to move the goal posts, doesn't make me the
idiot either...

At this point, the discussion derailed in what you consider
support to be. And, I understand your need to do that, too. You
were wrong with your initial comment.

****, I just realized you're a google groups groupie. Why not use
a real usenet client and provider?

Another example of why you're an idiot. Now you want to start the
silly BS of "my way of engaging with newsgroups is better than
yours" ROFL!

Wow. I simply asked you a question, Trader. No reason to become more
defensive and make more assumptions as to why I asked...

There you go lying yet again. You did not just ask a question.
You claimed that people who use google groups are somehow inferior
as an attack on me and wanted to start another whole pointless debate.
WTF is it your business as to how others access newsgroups, which
are a dying vehicle anyway?

I think everyone here would agree with that. Your idea of
reasonable is that a normal smartphone has to be avoided in favor
of a burner phone.

Once again, you're putting words in my mouth. I won't claim to speak
for everyone. If you wish to do so, that's on you. Suffice to say,
if what you said was accurate, why isn't everyone?!? jumping all
over me in this discussion? Something seems to be amiss here...

and your
statement about not knowing of any browser still supported on XP,
is wrong. Firefox, IS. Your idea of supported obviously differs
from mine in this case, too.

Your efforts to redefine terms to suit you obviously make no
difference to me. Supported is Supported. Your red herring
arguments, aside.

Do you deny that support for browsers includes more than just
security updates?

You specifically wrote:

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of any
browsers for XP.

Which isn't true. And, I responded to that statement. If you were
clear in what you personally consider an update to be, this discussion
wouldn't have gone this far.

Do you deny that the context of the OP's question was upgrading a
typical desktop system for the future?

Nope. And, I already commented on that, too. I advised them NOT
to waste their time or money on 64bit XP or Windows 7. My opinion
hasn't got a thing to do with his/her choice of browser. It's the
fact XP is already EOL and Windows 7 soon will be. So there's no
'future' to be had with either of them. Not for the OPs purposes,
anyhow. That is, if they think updates mean what you do: new
features, etc.

OTH, If (which is why I brought up CNC machines and plasma cutters)
the machine was being used for a dedicated purpose, it wouldn't
matter which 'version' of Windows they decided to run with,

There you go again with the CNC BS. Does the OP have a CNC?
You sure have a problem with understanding context.