Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Building a cajon, structural strength issue

On 4/12/2017 7:52 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:
One plan I saw calls for a box 12"x12"x18" tall, made with 1/2" plywood. The wrinkle is, one plays a cajon while *sitting* on it. And some of us wanna-be percussionists have put on a few pounds over a lifetime. I'm wondering about the strength of what is effectively a five-sided 1/2" ply box (the front side is made with very thin ply, maybe 1/8")for say, 250 pounds. Will it need corner braces? Or 3/4" ply?

My granddaughter wanted on. Made it out of Home Depot bargain plywood and it has held up well.
Are you planning on putting the snare in it?

I'm guessing I'm a little larger than your granddaughter, but I'm
reasonably persuaded that a 1/2" ply box will be robust enough.

As for the snares, I tend to prefer the no-snare sound, but I'm doing
this for fun and experimentation with different sounds, so I'll probably
add in a "switchable" snare. I don't watch that much of Woodworking for
Mere Mortals, but I have to say that his "mechanism" looks awfully easy
to accomplish; no reason not to add on that feature.

---