Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT? Energy tariff madness

Jeff Layman wrote:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/utilities/gas-electricity-prices.aspx
to have a look at available tariffs, and couldn't believe what I was
seeing. Is that what a deregulated market is supposed to be doing? There
are over *2000* tariffs on that page!

Some of those tariffs are a decade old, so I presume most of them are
unavailable now, I think each supplier is limited to four tariffs (per
fuel).

If you have a year-old bill available, find your annual gas and electric
usage in kWh and feed that plus your address into

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

if you tell it your existing tariff it will compare differences with
that, but if you don't know then tell it whatever supplier you like, but
disregard whatever comparative "saving" it tells you back in return.

You can choose whether to look at all deals (including those from new or
tiny suppliers you've never heard of) or only to pick from more well
known names.

I've never had the slightest bit of spam from them, and they're honest
about how much kickback they get, and they share some of it with you.