Posted to rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb[_5_] Dr. Deb[_5_] is offline

Default Building a cajon, structural strength issue

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 6:05:44 PM UTC-5, gdguarino wrote:
For the uninitiated, a cajon is a percussion instrument, essentially a wooden box with one thin side and a hole in the opposite side. I'm a keyboard player, but have recently developed a hankering to dabble in percussion. Plus, I have a pile plywood scraps lying around.

I've seen various plans online, and I'm sure that there are any number of sound-related variables to consider, but I'm mostly here to ask about structural strength.

One plan I saw calls for a box 12"x12"x18" tall, made with 1/2" plywood. The wrinkle is, one plays a cajon while *sitting* on it. And some of us wanna-be percussionists have put on a few pounds over a lifetime. I'm wondering about the strength of what is effectively a five-sided 1/2" ply box (the front side is made with very thin ply, maybe 1/8")for say, 250 pounds. Will it need corner braces? Or 3/4" ply?

My granddaughter wanted on. Made it out of Home Depot bargain plywood and it has held up well.
Are you planning on putting the snare in it?