Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Wowsers! Fast harvesting head

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 14:01:10 -0500, Ignoramus14657

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

It is fascinating, but I wonder, why would they need to cut trees that
are so young.

Being a tree farmer...

Straight and small diameter and most importantly the length tells me
they're destined to be turned millwork. This is about a 20 year
harvest.

The next step up is for power poles. That's what I'm growing right
now since this will probably be the last harvest of my lifetime. Poles
take about 30 years. The grain has to be fine and straight so we
don't use the fancy genetically engineered trees that can put on a
quarter inch of diameter in a year.

The largest trees are, of course, timber trees.

There is a GMO tree designed to reach about 14" in diameter in about
10 years. They do not grow straight and have huge grain so they're
used for pulpwood.

I also own a hardwood stand. It's older than I am. Average diameter
is about 2.5 ft - perfect for harvesting. It's funny to see where
fence runs were attached to the trees - 30 feet in the air. It abuts
the right of way of a new freeway exit so after I'm offered an
outlandish sum for the land, I'll harvest the trees just before the
land sale.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com