Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default OT looking for basic accounts software as going self-employed

In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Bill Wright
writes

Every business expense in fact, as long as it's 'wholly and
exclusively' for business use. Otherwise claim a proportion.
Advertising, internet costs, website design, phone, mobile phones, AA
membership, professional association membership, insurances, trade
magazines, postage, stationery, the lot.

Absolutely. I said earlier that I consulted an accountant as soon as I
became self employed, so at least I knew what I was aiming at with
accounts, and had a guide as to what could, and could not be claimed
against tax. Agreed that only a proportion of household costs can be
claimed. I think my figure was 8 or 10 per cent, or thereabouts.
Every little helps.

VAT not mentioned so far.

For agriculture with most outputs zero rated and tax on inputs fully
claimable it makes sense to join at almost any level of turnover.

For a modest handyman operation with a proportion of cash payment,
charging customers an extra 20% will not grow the business. Other
benefits such as VAT allowance on vehicle fuel may not pay off either. I
haven't looked recently but the assumed non business use far outweighed
our actual consumption:-(
--
Tim Lamb