Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can A 12V Power Supply Wire Be Run Through A Wall?

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 16:18:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 4:06:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 15:33:04 -0400, wrote:

"If the wiring leaves the group of
equipment to connect to other devices in the same room or elsewhere in
the building, the wiring is considered €˜€˜wiring within buildings and
is subject to the requirements of Article 725"
EXCEPT when the cabling is part of a "listed device" - which the cord
on the wall-wart is - when it is not addressed.

In typical usenet fashion we have taken a simple question to absurd
lengths

Yep...that's why I've been sitting back watching you guys hash this out.

but I doubt the listing includes the ability to penetrate
walls, ceilings or floors.
1&2 family is pretty much immune from inspections as long as there is
no open permit but I guarantee you, in a commercial building or a
multi family, this would get tagged.
I already said, in the grand scheme of things this is not a baby
killer but it is still questionable as a code issue.

My thoughts exactly.

In any case, the issue was resolved in another manner since I asked
the question.

The device is the controller box for a 4 camera WiFi security system.
The location where it was going to be placed was the only place where
it could consistently communicate with all 4 cameras.

A deeper reading of the manual revealed that you can program the cameras
to talk to/through each other, as opposed to each one talking directly to
the controller.

e.g. Place the controller in Location A and all 4 cameras can communicate
with it, but the power wiring is an issue.

Place it in Location B and only Cameras 1, 2, and 4 can reach it, but the
power wiring is not a problem.

Now, program Camera 3 to send its signal to Camera 4 and let Camera 4
forward the video to the Controller. Problem solved and no need to run
wires through a wall or ceiling.

OK, now for the next question:

- Camera mounted on exterior wall.
- Hole drilled through exterior siding and interior drywall.
- 12V wire from wall wart passed though hole to camera. Straight
shot, maybe 6", no sleeve, no box.
- Mounting plate on camera covers the hole in exterior wall.
- RG6 style bushing used in interior drywall hole.

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

OK