Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can A 12V Power Supply Wire Be Run Through A Wall?

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 16:05:56 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 15:33:04 -0400,
wrote:

"If the wiring leaves the group of
equipment to connect to other devices in the same room or elsewhere in
the building, the wiring is considered ‘‘wiring within buildings’’ and
is subject to the requirements of Article 725"

EXCEPT when the cabling is part of a "listed device" - which the cord
on the wall-wart is - when it is not addressed.

In typical usenet fashion we have taken a simple question to absurd
lengths but I doubt the listing includes the ability to penetrate
walls, ceilings or floors.
1&2 family is pretty much immune from inspections as long as there is
no open permit but I guarantee you, in a commercial building or a
multi family, this would get tagged.
I already said, in the grand scheme of things this is not a baby
killer but it is still questionable as a code issue.

I wouldn't necessarily try it in a multi-family either - but we WERE
talking single family dwelling, I believe.