Art Todesco

Default [ OT ] FRS radios / 2-way radios

I just used my $5 each closeout Radio Shack FRSs at a large
amusement park. They worked great, however, everyone and his
brother and their kids have them, so there is a lot of chatter.
And this was not a very busy day in the park. BTW, the park
is no where near 5 miles long. FRSs usually advertise 2 mile,
which is extremely optimistic in the real world.

jim wrote:

Marshall wrote:

Hi:

I looking to buy a pair of FRS radios & wondering if anyone could
recommend a good brand / model?
I would want one of the 5 mile range, rechargeable models. At least
I 'think' I want to go rechargeable?? Is there a noticable difference
in weight between them and the 'regular battery' models? These would be
used 1-2 times per month, and have to operate up to maybe 10-12 hours
on standby. Actual talking time would be minimal. Just want to be able
to contact eachother inside of a 3-story building. Thanks for any advice.

--
Phil {remove 9 for mail}

do you know that you need a FCC license and it is not cheap like the ole
CB radio license... i went on the net to get the FCC web site and got
disgusted after reading all you need for this toy of a 2 way radio...
better and cheaper to get a cell phone with a time card where you pay
for the calls in advance.....