Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Building a cajon, structural strength issue

"gdguarino" wrote in message
For the uninitiated, a cajon is a percussion instrument, essentially a
wooden box with one thin side and a hole in the opposite side. I'm a
keyboard player, but have recently developed a hankering to dabble in
percussion. Plus, I have a pile plywood scraps lying around.

I've seen various plans online, and I'm sure that there are any number of
sound-related variables to consider, but I'm mostly here to ask about
structural strength.

One plan I saw calls for a box 12"x12"x18" tall, made with 1/2" plywood. The
wrinkle is, one plays a cajon while *sitting* on it. And some of us wanna-be
percussionists have put on a few pounds over a lifetime. I'm wondering about
the strength of what is effectively a five-sided 1/2" ply box (the front
side is made with very thin ply, maybe 1/8")for say, 250 pounds. Will it
need corner braces? Or 3/4" ply?

1/2" should be more than enough.

When I was a photographer I had some posing boxes made; varying sizes, 1/4"
ply. Never a problem.