Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 5:59:55 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Sun, 09
Apr 2017 15:54:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 7:49:15 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Sat,
08 Apr 2017 20:47:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Say what? You don't think Google has a way of linking what you
typed or what you spoke into a voice search on an Android phone
back to you? Of course they do.

Re-read what I wrote. The section you conveniently, snipped:

Options exist, vpn, etc. Using other peoples network connection,
forging browser Identity information, etc etc etc.
I was writing about google, the search engine. I don't use voice
commands on my phones, I'm not too lazy to type...

Again, context is everything. The context was what goes on
with SMARTPHONES today. What percent of smartphone users are
doing the above, ie tin foil hat stuff because they are afraid
that google will know that they searched for "pizza near me"?

It's not tinfoil hat stuff. It's being aware of technology and how it
works, under the hood. Old habits die hard, you know. I can't help it
if the vast majority of people using technology today treat it like a
toaster oven. It's not.

And if you don't do something extraordinary, then of course
Google knows what you've been looking for, where you've been
located with the phone, etc. Which of course why the comparison
to Win 10 is logical.

I don't consider sound security practices to be extraordinary. I told
you, I'm a former blackhat hacker. I don't think like the typical joe
down the street.

As far as the android phones go...I use burner phones. They
aren't associated with my name. So, google has no way of tracking
me, personally, no.

What percent of smartphone users are using burner phones?
That's the issue. You seem to think that 99.9% of us users
have the same extreme penchant for privacy that you do.

I fully realize the vast majority of users are ignorant as hell
concerning how the technology works. Downright ****ing stupid, in
some cases. Ignorance is a curable condition.. stupidity, ehh, no
cure for that.

You think just maybe instead it's that the vast majority of users realize
that google and similar will know we just googled for "pizza near
me" and don't care that the fact that we're looking for pizza and
our location has been sent to google?

There is also anonymity in numbers. I doubt google has employees sitting
there, monitoring me, interested in the fact that I googled for pizza,
where I'm located and then trying to use that for some nefarious purposes.
In other words, like 99.9% of the world, I don't need a burner phone.

I *used* to take advantage of that. Then I realized
that shooting fish in a barrel isn't any real challenge, AND, it was
a total dickhead thing for me to be doing. Not only was I causing
people I didn't even know or would likely ever meet problems, I was
wasting my time too.

The reality is that if you're using a typical smartphone
like 99% of the users out there, then what get's tracked
and seen on Win 10 isn't much different than what's been
going on for years with phones.

I don't think the percentage rate is quite that high, but, I've got
nothing to support/deny it, either. I'd like to think 99.9% of users
are that stupid, but, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are.
Especially with the data breaches I keep reading about. Imho, there's
really no excuse for stupidity concerning digital devices in the
digital age. A computer isn't a toaster oven, despite how 'dumbed
down' the latest OSes have become for the general sheeple.

Computers today are in fact like toasters, because they are widespread
consumer items, easily used by the masses, without needing to be
computer experts or in the case of toasters, electricians or electrical engineers.