ameijers

Default [ OT ] FRS radios / 2-way radios

"Marshall" wrote in message
Hi:

I looking to buy a pair of FRS radios & wondering if anyone could
recommend a good brand / model?
I would want one of the 5 mile range, rechargeable models. At least
I 'think' I want to go rechargeable?? Is there a noticable difference
in weight between them and the 'regular battery' models? These would be
used 1-2 times per month, and have to operate up to maybe 10-12 hours
on standby. Actual talking time would be minimal. Just want to be able
to contact eachother inside of a 3-story building. Thanks for any advice.

1. Is this for pleasure use or for work? FRS 'technically' is only for
pleasure use, but the odds of getting nailed are slim.

2. For power and durability, you may want to consider GMRS radios, which are
on the next band over to FRS, and some models cover both. GMRS does
require a license, though. Ignore the other poster that said FRS requires a
license. Sams club and the like sell decent starter GMRS portables at a
decent price. I'm sure online stores would have them a little cheaper.

3. As to brands- For FRS, they are all about the same, made in China
disposable. Go for the one on sale and/or the one with mail-in swapout
warranty. For GMRS, Motorola or Kenwood or similar 'real' brand will be your
best bet. For twice-a-month use, I wouldn't pay the premium for rechargable-
they Die Young with infrequent use like that. And short of a
commercial-grade pack (see below), they are unlikely to last 10-12 hours
without wimping out. Just buy the multi-packs of Duracells on sale, and put
the fresh spares in your pocket at the start of each outing. If the old set
dies during the day, just switch them out.

4. Is the building you need comms in steel-frame with flourescent lights? If
so, plan on LOTS of dead spots. To get reliable comms in my office with all
the steel and RF noise, I had to go with commercial-grade VHF 5-watt
portables and a repeater on the roof. I have a better system than most of
the local public service agencies. Motorola all the way- not the cheapest,
but life is too short to deal with hardware failures. FRS is a fraction of a
watt, and GMRS (IIRC) tops out at 3? watts.

5. For advice from actual experts, ask for help over on the various
rec.radio groups. See which ones your news server carries, and page through
a few, and you should be able to tell the appropriate group to ask on.

aem sends....