Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default EPROMs nearing end of life?

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017, wrote:

"1) My shop is in Canada - and Fedex/UPS/DHL all charge my shop customs

import fees that can reach $40US. We normally have Americans (I am
assuming you are in the USA) ship stuff to us by US Post as the import
fees (if that happens) is around $7US. "

What happened to NAFTA ? Is that only for stuff coming into the US ?

First, I think it only applies to things made in the US or Canada. SO
much is made elsewhere, it doesn't count. I can look in the LL Bean
catalog and think "that's a nice thing to have" but most of the time the
fine print says "made in China" or elsewhere. And that doesn't count as
US made.

But in this case, it's an issue specific to the courrier companies. If
something comes into Canada through the post office, it may slip through,
but generally you'll need to pay import duty. That's not too bad.

But the courier companies charge some fee to process the paperwork, or
something like that. It's been going on for a long time, some one orders
from the US, doesn't pay much attention, and then suddenly they have to
pay this big charge just to get it into the country, the duty may be on
top of that. It comes as a surprise, until it happens, and then you pay
attention and avoid companies that don't ship via the post office.

Michael