Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Local Councils to be told to take waste fee-free

On 09/04/17 17:36, tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
It's the tradesmen working on tight margins who will still have the
incentive to flytip. I'd like to see "free" waste disposal for DIYers
AND tradesmen with a turnover less that a certain amount. Of course this
would have to be paid for by rates/community charge/whatever but it
would be worth it to stop this appalling scourge on our countryside.

And there's the rub. Something must be done - but no one wants to pay for
it.

but we are paying for it anyway

the question is, what's the cheapest way to pay for it

Almost always by avoiding excess government.

I was at one time involved in an EU inspired 'competition' to get grants
to do useful local 'internet stuff'.

3/4 of the grant went on consultants to decide who would get it.

The consultants also worked for BT.

BT got a free market survey telling them where rural interest in
broadband was high.

The actual communities got peanuts.

In the old days rag and bone men collected junk, sorted it into
recyclable scrap and total junk, which was then burnt or taken to the
tip for free burial.

It gave a man some employment and dealt with household waste that wasnt
catered for by the 'dustmen'

The equivalent today is travellers, but they don't take the rest to the
tip do they? Or restrict themselves to what is freely given.

Cue happy song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7GeZ3YmONw

tim

Mark Twain