Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 9:17:51 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 23:56:30 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

You code in asm? What passes for malware these days is some pretty
sorry ass **** code. I haven't seen an actual virus infection in
years.

Used to. Yes, there's be a lack of viruses of late. Haven't seen one
make the news in years.

Looking at my image archive, it seems to
actually average about every 45 days. It normally takes from
10 to 30 minutes. Depends on how many updates I have to do.
That includes restoring my base image, updating, creating new
base image. My OS is on a small SSD (64gb) dedicated to it.

You might want to look into wsus. You can save yourself a lot of
time and bandwidth...

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Makes doing offsite tech support easier too. No waiting around, no
depending on the users internet connection.

I don't do tech support, and Windows updates have never been a
problem. I update other apps too when I restore, as I disable all
of the auto updates.

You must be one of those rare cases then. Windows update has had
problems going back years on various Windows flavors. MS has had to
issue 'fixes' to correct it, multiple times.

Bottom line is it's normal system maintenance for me.
Started imaging with XP, which was easy to break. I prefer to
install my OS one time only.

This copy of XP was installed over a decade ago. I've yet to
reload it. Had to restore from image once or twice due to hardware
failure. (HD), but, not due to any software issues, uhh, no.

XP was - and might still be - a target for malware, which I meant
by "break." Win 7 wasn't quite as bad. As I said Win 10 is the
best of the lot. I can't confirm getting any malware on Win 10.
Maybe the hackers are on vacation.

I respectfully disagree with your best of the lot opinion concerning
Windows 10, for reasons I've already stated. But, hey, if it works
for you...it's all gravy. I haven't taken a vacation in years. Maybe
I should consider doing that sometime this summer. I could probably
use it. Hackers aren't all bad you know. Some of us are quite useful
in a positive sense.

I have no use for them.

One advantage to re-imaging is that while I don't do it regularly,
when I have done it, the PC performance improvement was substantial.
In fact, I think when people buy a new PC and see a huge increase
in performance, I'd bet that a good part of that, maybe half, is
that they are starting with a clean machine again. If they just
did a system restore, they'd also see a good boost in performance.