Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 4:39:55 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Sat, 08
Apr 2017 16:57:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 8:47:31 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Fri,
07 Apr 2017 19:43:08 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 6:20:48 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
Sam E
Fri, 07 Apr 2017 00:39:54 GMT
in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/06/2017 03:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox
will still support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't
exactly a 'niche' browser.

You must not know much about calendars, it's already
2017.

Nice try.

Nice try at what? It is in fact already 2017.

It's not fall 2017 yet (when Firefox support ends).

When it might, possibly, end.

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurerelea...3/firefox-supp
ort -for-xp-and-vista/

In approximately March, 2017, Windows XP and Vista users will
automatically be moved to the Firefox Extended Support Release
(ESR).

Firefox is one of the few browsers that continues to support
Windows XP and Vista, and we expect to continue to provide
security updates for users until September 2017. Users do not
need to take additional action to receive those updates. In
mid-2017, user numbers on Windows XP and Vista will be
reassessed and a final support end date will be announced.

Again, the context of the thread was upgrading hardware on an
XP system with the intention of using it into the future.

True so far.

So, let's get this right. Based on the above, it's your
professional opinion that relying on Firefox as a browser that
will run on XP for the future is a sound decision?

That's not what I wrote, Trader.

That's the context of the thread, where you started arguing that
Firefox is supported on XP, based on the fact that there currently
is only security updates left for Firefox and even that is
scheduled to end in Sept. I said one big problem with XP is that
IDK of any browser that is still supported under XP. That is
true. Mozillar ended all support except for security updates and
even those are guaranteed only through Sept 2017.

But no, according to you, Firefox is still supported under XP.
Who should we believe? You or Mozilla?

Both of us in this case. Mozilla doesn't claim Firefox is no longer
supported on XP, just yet. They are still issuing new versions of it

Once again, complete BS. Mozilla has said that there will be no
new versions of Firefox for XP, only SECURITY UPDATES and only those
are guaranteed for another 5 months. Why do you lie? In addition,
Mozillar points out that MSFT is no longer issuing security updates
for XP and Mozilla is telling it's Firefox users to move to a
supported OS and supported browser.

along with security/non security updates. ESR channel.

Infact, I advised the OP not to
pursue XP 64bit or 'upgrade' to Windows 7, either; for the same
reason. He's only delaying the inevitable.

Oh, I see. But when I said IDK of any browsers that are still
supported on XP, you chimed in with "Firefox is still supported",
when the only support left is security updates and that for
5 months? WTF is wrong with you?

Nothing is wrong with me. I simply corrected your misleading
statement. Firefox IS still presently supported on Windows XP.

My statement was not misleading, but your BS advice sure is.
The context, again was a person planning for the future. And
you had to chime in, claiming that Firefox is still supported
on XP, when the only support left is security updates and even
that is only guaranteed for 5 months. Some future, some great
advice!

You
contradicted your own comment, anyhow. Your personal opinion
concerning what security updates are/aren't doesn't have any bearing
on the initial comment you made. For the time being, Firefox is
still being updated on Windows XP.

Was the poster concerned about the time being? Idiot.

That will be changing, soon, but,
it hasn't happened yet. My comment concerning the pointless in
upgrading to Windows 7 has far less to do with firefox than it does
wasting the OPS time in the sense that OS is nearing EOL, too for
end users. So if he wants to prepare for the future, his choices are
a bit limited. Go with win**** 10, or, switch to linux.

No **** Sherlock, which is why I said IDK of any browser that is
currently supported on XP. And for me and I think most reasonable
people, 5 months of security updates only, from folks that have
already discontinued ALL OTHER SUPPORT and are telling their
users of Firefox on XP to move, doesn't qualify as "supported".
But heh, feel free to climb on board a browser for 5 months.

If he wants to run modern
hardware, he should go with a modern OS. Such as Linux, not
Win**** 10.

Is that what you'd tell a customer? A client?

That depends entirely on what the machine in question is being
used for. If it's running a CNC or plasma cutter in his shop,
there's no reason to 'upgrade' the OS. It might infact, disable
the CNC machine and/or plasma cutter.

Was the OP running a CNC machine? Try to stick to the context at
least.

You asked me a question. The OP isn't a client of mine. You didn't
ask me specifically about the OP, you asked what I'd tell a client
or customer and I answered you.

Context matters. The OP isn't running a CNC. Does CNC need
an internet browser? WTF?

That while Mozilla has said they have already
discontinued all support except for security updates, that
because they have said they will continue to provide only
security updates for 5 months, that means it's supported and a
swell choice? WTF?

Er, not quite, no. Still supported, yes.

IT's not supported when all support except for security updates
has ended. And quite remarkable that anyone would argue this,

I find it remarkable that you (I really don't run across many people
who think as you do) that security updates are not updates.

Lying again. I didn't say that security updates are not updates.
I said when all you're left with is 5 months of security updates,
ie, no more bug fixes, no more no improvements to make sure it
stays compatible, that is not a *supported* browser. You seem to
think that security updates are all there is to supporting a
product. Probably because you've got a tin foil hat on when
it comes to "security".

Firefox
ESR release is still getting security/non security updates for the
time being, AND, it still supports XP/Vista. ESR versions.

BS. Mozilla has clearly said there are no more updates other than
security updates. And even that is for just 5 months. Wow, some
"time being", for a poster upgrading a system for the future!

given that even security updates are only guaranteed for 5 months.
I told the OP that IDK of any browsers supported on XP, meaning
if he sticks with XP, IDK what browser he can use for the future.
YOU objected, claiming I'm wrong to say that, because he can still
get security updates only for another 5 months? What is wrong
with you?

Your statement wasn't correct on the face of it. You didn't specify
any qualifying aspects. You stated that you knew of no browsers
still being supported that run on XP, and, that's not the case.
Firefox is, for the time being.

No it;s not when Mozilla has already issued the final release for XP,
has stated that there will only be security updates going forward
and only guaranteed that for 5 months and told it's users to move
to a newer OS that is supported. Besides the fact that Firefox is
only issuing security updates for 5 months, you also have the fact
that MSFT is no longer doing security updates for XP PERIOD!
Quite remarkable for a tin foil hat guy to be advocating that
using Firefox on XP is cool and supported, when even the OS itself
is no longer receiving security updates from MSFT!