Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus14657 Ignoramus14657 is offline

Default How to cut this copper coil

On 2017-04-09, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 22:07:22 -0500, Ignoramus9502
wrote:

I got a bit lucky and bought a broken air dryer that had a big copper
coil inside. This is a heat exchanging coil with a copper tube inside
a tube.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/coil.jpg

The problem is that it is extremely heavily made and would not easily
cut with a cable cutter. I want to cut it up into pieces and clean to
make #1 copper.

That's probably worth a fortune as #1 copper. Oh, it's down from $3
(when I last looked) to $2.28/lb, but still valuable.

Still pretty good. Copper has been pretty flat for the last 1.5 years
or so.

Any idea what can cut it, maybe a circular saw with a small tooth
blade?

How about a recip saw for a deeper cut? If it's soft, a 12"
woodcutting blade might work, though it might leave rough edges.
Cut it in half and clean from there.

I want to cut it to remove steel ends, and secondly to clean off the
urethane foam.

What takes that white gunk off? What is that?

White gunk is expanding urethane foam, it does not seem to stick to
copper very well and should easily come off once the coil is cut.