Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT looking for basic accounts software as going self-employed

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
We're getting further away from the original question now but, if the OP
is becoming self employed for the first time, it is important to know
just what can be deducted for tax purposes. Working from home?
Dedicate a part of the home as office, and claim, say, ten percent of
all household bills. Going out in the car? Buy something for the
business, and claim car running expenses, including parking. Just keep
all receipts. Forever.

Using a home PC for business records and accounts? Claim for it - and
the cost of modems, routers, ISP, cables, printers, inks, paper etc.
Claim for the cost of any new desk, filing cabinet, files etc.

Married? Employ the wife if she is not working elsewhere. Make sure
she does something, though. Pop to suppliers, write cheques, file
invoices, type quotes or whatever. Claim for her car too, if she uses
it for business.

Claim for overalls, boots, gloves, masks, tools etc.

If doing your own accounts, you may find that the IR spends more time
looking at claims for allowances than if they come from a qualified
accountant. And may well question many of them. Especially for things
which aren't solely for business use - like a car or computer.

--
*I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.