Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Local Councils to be told to take waste fee-free

On 09/04/17 00:40, Davey wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ter-ministers/

At last! It is blatantly clear that part of the cause of fly-tipping is
the fact that it is so difficult to dispose of waste. We used to have a
council-run rubbish/recycling centre near us, then it was closed, then
re-opened under a contractor, who charges £6 per car-load. But it never
seems to be open, so it's impossible to make any plans to go there.

Another problem is where to dispose of used engine oil and coolant.
Both are no-nos for putting down the drain. "Find a willing local
garage" is the advice. No, I want to take it to a place that will
accept it, rather than try to persuade an unwilling garage, with whom
I do no business.

All the dumps I've been to have an engine oil disposal sump.

And finally, there is a collection of old gardening powders, paint,
snail repellent etc in our garage. Some of it may be old enough to
qualify as historical and worthy of a museum. But in order to dispose of
it, whereas I would like to just put it all in a box and take it to my
local waste centre, I am supposed to itemise it by description and
quantity, and then call for a Hazmat lorry to come and collect it, and
pay £45 for the privilege.
And they wonder why people fly-tip.

Again - our dump (even the small one) has a special zone for chemicals.

What I've done with paint when skipping before (the skip company did not
want liquid paint) is to get loads of cardboard boxes from the
supermarket, and loads of newspapers and line the boxes in the garden
with paper, then pour out the cans into the boxes.

Leave for a couple of days to dry then dispose of as dry waste.