Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Now , about Linux Mint ...

On 04/08/2017 06:56 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 23:32:43 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/07/2017 08:24 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I decided to try it out in one box that's kind of "extra" as a
dual boot with WinXP Pro - on a separate hard drive of course .
Ran into a formatting (?) problem early on in the install though
, and decided to come back to it later .
The times they are a changing . And that was fershure Dylan .

To avoid the possibility of screwing up your Windows system,
disconnect the hard drive completely and on a spare hard drive
install Linux

Now you can experiment all you want...

I've been using Linux since the year 2000 and it's now my main OS

I like it quite a bit myself. Really like it. The desktop is so much
different than the old shell accounts I've had since I was a young
teenager. [g] I can take a more hands on approach now, instead of
ssh/telnet sessions that just aren't the same. Speaking of 2000, I
actually retired from Vx that year. It was time.

I had computer experience back in the old punch card days but by 1982 I
got damn sick of computers and swore I'd never touch one again.

Other than using an old DOS inventory program at work, I pretty much had
no contact until my (now) wife gave me her old P-1 in 1999.

It did not take me too long to get back into things and within six
months was quite used to win9x...so I needed a bigger challenge.

Have to admit I was clueless regarding Linux at first. From the time I
got my Red Hat 5.2 CD until the time I got it installed and everything
properly configured...was about six months...but I learned a lot!

Now Linux is very easy to install and use but to a newbie there are
still a few things that might be a little confusing...but for the most
part there is nothing to it.