Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 20:36:21 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Vic Smith
Sat, 08 Apr 2017
13:31:07 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 23:26:43 -0400, wrote:

Why do you restore an OS image once a month??? Just wondering

Usually to clean off test software, unneeded software (eg
Turbotax), or to add software to my base image. Sometimes because
of suspected malware.

What the ****? You don't trust the uber security some people think
Windows 10 has? I did have a virus get loose on this machine once, a
long time ago. risk you take when testing them. It took a couple of
hours for me to write a scanner and remove all traces of it, but, I
didn't have to reload my OS or drivers, OR software. That's a pain in
the ass. And, I could have shaved off atleast an hour or so if I just
reloaded from image instead, but, that's no fun. I wanted to hunt.
Practice keeps your skills current n all.

I did that a few times, but soon enough realized I was just wasting my
time, when I can restore an image in 3 minutes total time boot to
boot. Actually, IME Win 10 is much better than 7 or XP at preventing
malware. Or maybe there's less of it going around.

Looking at my image archive, it seems to
actually average about every 45 days. It normally takes from 10
to 30 minutes. Depends on how many updates I have to do.
That includes restoring my base image, updating, creating new base
image. My OS is on a small SSD (64gb) dedicated to it.

You might want to look into wsus. You can save yourself a lot of time
and bandwidth...

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Makes doing offsite tech support easier too. No waiting around, no
depending on the users internet connection.

I don't do tech support, and Windows updates have never been a
problem. I update other apps too when I restore, as I disable all
of the auto updates.

Bottom line is it's normal system maintenance for me.
Started imaging with XP, which was easy to break. I prefer to
install my OS one time only.

This copy of XP was installed over a decade ago. I've yet to reload
it. Had to restore from image once or twice due to hardware failure.
(HD), but, not due to any software issues, uhh, no.

XP was - and might still be - a target for malware, which I meant by
"break." Win 7 wasn't quite as bad. As I said Win 10 is the best of
the lot. I can't confirm getting any malware on Win 10.
Maybe the hackers are on vacation.