Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Lorry overtaking ban, M11

On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 23:53:19 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 15:29:39 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:
snip

The current system works fine, siren and blue light, people slow down and move over a bit, leaving a nice clear path for them.

Correct.

Or at a junction everyone lets the ambulance through on the red light..

Correct, as long as they do so legally.

I've never actually seen anyone as stupid as Tim blocking an ambulance, there can't be too many of him around.

Because you have never seen me blocking any emergency vehicles because
I am observant and plan ahead.

If your only options (due to where other people (possibly idiots) had placed themselves) we
1) Obstruct the ambulance.
2) Break the law and let it past.
Are you seriously saying you'd do 1)? You need your head examined. Most people put common sense above the law.

Perhaps ambulances should film what's happening in front of them, and the footage can be analysed later if they were delayed, and anyone who didn't get out of the way gets points on their licence,

Luckily, in this country law abiding citizens don't usually get fined
for not breaking the law.

They should if it means they blocked an ambulance.

or is held partially accountable for the death of the person they didn't get to on time.

What if they cause the death of an innocent person by trying to move
out of the way?

Well obviously driving onto a pavement full of pedestrians is stupid. But I never suggested that.

"But it was a bus lane" should not be an excuse.

It's not an excuse, it's the rules and break them at your own
discretion / peril..

Obstructing a bus is hardly the end of the world.

However, here is a nice video you can watch that even you should be
able to understand (and hopefully learn (the current UK road traffic
rules) from).

http://www.bluelightaware.org.uk/#nf

An some other *facts* to counter you everlasting BS ...

http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/giving...ency-vehicles/

"Can I be fined for breaking the law to assist an emergency vehicle?

Yes, you can. Councils and local authorities are heartless
bureaucracies at the best of times, but in this case they do have the
law on their side. There is nothing in the Highway Code which says you
can break the law if you are trying to get out of the way of an
emergency vehicle."

"There are also plenty of stories and old wives tales about how you
can write to the relevant authority and explain how you were trying to
assist an emergency vehicle, but there are no legal provisions to get
you out of a traffic penalty. Sometimes these fines are withdrawn if
the driver appeals and there is supporting evidence, but certainly not
always."

So like I said elsewhere, maybe you could stop the ambulance driver on
a shout and ask him to be your witness if you get done for say
crossing the white line at some traffic lights.

I will not read government hype, propaganda, and utter bull****. As I said before, intelligent people put common sense above the law.

--
You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk and the first thing you think is, 'Edit, Undo.'