Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

trader_4
Sat, 08
Apr 2017 16:48:47 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 8:47:30 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

security updates, ARE infact, updates.

They are just one part of normal product updates during a
product's lifecycle. Security updates are not bug fixes,
improvements, changes made to keep things compatible with new
web softwar, to support new features, etc.

You're really going to continue trying to talk down to me?
Seriously?

Not talking down to you, just explaining the facts. You seem to
think that security updates are all there is to product support.
That's not true. Security updates are the last part of product
support and Mozilla has said they are ending support for Firefox
on XP, so why are you advocating it as a browser for XP for the
future?

First, I don't think security updates are all there is to product
support. I wrote and supported my own antimalware removal tool for
three years, myself. Second, security updates are not the last part
of product support. Security updates are an ongoing thing. You don't
wait to fix issues until the software nears EOL. Not if you're a
responsible author, anyhow.

Security updates are the LAST part of a product's life. And
again, Mozilla has said that security updates will end in just
FIVE months. So, again, WTF is your point? The context here
was upgrading a system now to use FOR THE FUTURE. Five months
of security updates and then even that support ends, that is
reassuring, a path you recommend users be on? Good grief!

Security updates are not the last part or the middle part or any
other part of it's life cycle specifically.

Another lame spin attempt. I didn't say security updates show up
only as the last part of a product's lifecycle. I said that
product support doesn't just include security updates, but also
includes improvements, bug fixes, compatiblity fixes, etc. When
the product is being discontinued, security updates are the last
part of support that's ended. All that other support goes first
and that has already happened with Firefox. And again, Mozilla
has said they are discontinuing Firefox for XP. I posted it.
They said some time ago they will only continue security updates
and that is only guaranteed until SEPT 2017, just FIVE MONTHS FROM
NOW.

I'm not attempting to spin anything. An update is an update,
security, new feature, doesn't matter.

It's really remarkable that you want to argue that Firefox is
supported on XP, especially in the context of this thread, which
is upgrading a system for THE FUTURE. Please, stop embarrassing
yourself.

Firefox IS presently still supported on XP. You don't upgrade a
system for the future thats going to be used by a home user by
continuing to use XP or Windows 7, for that matter.

I'm not embarrasing myself, either. But, I appreciate your concern
and effort to instill another red herring into the conversation. I
find it quite amusing, myself.

They are security
updates, issued whenever a problem is discovered. That has
nothing whatsoever to do with the age of the app or it's near end
of support status.

It does when they've said they are end of lifing Firefox for XP
and that security updates are all they are offering now and that
is only guaranteed for 5 months. If you follow any OS eols,
browser eols, you'd know that support for everything but security
updates goes first, then even the security updates.

It doesn't matter when the software is officially going to be no
longer supported. A security Update, as I said originally, IS AN
UPDATE and those do NOT depend on the software nearing or reaching
EOL. They are issued when a problem is discovered and fixed. Take the
god awful, adobe flash for example. Most of its updates are not to
add additional features.

It's absolutely true. Here again from Mozilla:

You're stretching a bit here. And, you aren't dumb enough not to
know that.

I'm stretching? ROFL! Mozilla has said they are EOLing Firefox
for XP, they announced that long ago and that they would only
offer security updates until Sept 2017. You're the one stretching
that, claiming that Firefox is being supported on XP and that it's
a browser choice for the OP for the future. Five months of just
security updates is a future? Good grief.

I didn't say it was a browser choice for the OP in the future. I've
already stated, multiple times now, that XP nor Windows 7 is a wise
decision for the 'future'. As both are near (XP being the exception
here, it already did) EOL and some newer hardware already refuses to
run Windows 7. What I wrote was that Firefox is still being updated
and it still supports XP, for the time being. I said nothing about
that in relation to the future. So yes, you're stretching AND putting
words in my mouth again.

cite specific exploits in XP that are still unpatched and being
used in some way to 0wn an XP box. I've read scare mongering
stories about the reason for leaving it behind for awhile now,
yet, nobody seems able to provide an actual example. Btw, I'm
going to go ahead and disclose that i've been a member of various
0day exploit sites going back a decade or more. If something
comes up, I'd be one of the first to not only know about it, but
have viable proof of concept code demonstrating it, too. I
already disclosed a bit about myself. I've been in the hacking
scene since I was a kiddo. Although I'm a grayhat these days, I
still maintain contact with all my friends from the blackhat
days. it's prudent for me to do so, obviously.

I thought my point was self explanatory.

Yes, your point was that it's not 2017 and that Firefox is
still fully supported on XP and a wise choice for the future.

Ehh. Not quite. Now, you're actually putting words in my mouth. I
didn't say XP was a wise choice for the future,

Well then why are you here arguing, trying to make Firefox on XP a
valid browser choice for the future?

I didn't say it was or that it wasn't, actually. I commented about
your claim that you knew of no browsers still being updated for XP.
Firefox is, presently. That's ALL I said about that. You've tried to
insert things I didn't say in a weak effort to defend your original
comment.