Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

trader_4
Sat, 08
Apr 2017 17:09:29 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 9:32:09 AM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 11:26:55 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

necessary maintenance? You've got be ****ing kidding me. It is
old news from the viewpoint that the pre-release copies of
Windows 10 also did it, but, that's really beside the point.
Your OS shouldn't need to send audio recordings of you anyplace,
without you telling it to do so. In fact, it shouldn't be
retaining copies of that stuff, long term unless you opted to
save the audio recordings yourself. Nor should it be keeping
copies of whatever you type on the keyboard either. Who the hell
wants a built in keylogger?

Let's not go in circles. You despise Windows 10. That's fine.
I just work around its "issues." I already told you I resent
having to turn the so-called "spyware" off. But I turn it off.
It's just a trade-off in using Win 10.
BTW, at least 50% of my PC use is gaming. There's no substitute
for Win 10.

+1

That's how I view it too. What MSFT is doing with Win 10 is very
similar to what has been going on with smartphones for a long time
and to a large extent on any PC that you use to browse the
internet. Diesel is hung up on Win 10 allegedly recording your
speech for some nefarious purpose. AFAIK, it only uses your
speech if you use Cortana. And using Cortana is essentially the
same thing as using speech to search, ask questions, etc. on an
Android or iPhone. Somehow hundreds of millions around the world
are living with that and the other data that is collected about
what pages you visited, what you voice searched for, where you are
at the moment, etc.

Ahh, well, the thing is, I've rooted my phones and modded them quite
a bit. They don't do what a typical smartphone might? be doing. I
have a real GPS that doesn't exactly snitch on me, so I don't use
phones for that purpose either. Besides, the battery runtime is
terrible when you're GPSing your way around. My sense of navigation
is absolutely ****ing terrible. One of my weaknesses.

I use my phone to make/take phone calls. Maybe send a text or two on
occasion and that's about it. I'm old school like that. Despite the
fact the phones are technically, smart phones. In all reality, they
aren't phones at all, though. They are a small footprint size multi
core cpu driven computer with several two way radios.