Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Ping Jim Wilkins: Audio filter

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 08:22:00 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

snip
Along that line, I found this article about John
Goodenough, co-inventor of the lithium-ion battery, to
be encouraging. John just invented another new battery,
which he says will knock the li-ion battery dead. He's 94
years old and his comments about invention and age are
interesting:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/o...-old.html?_r=0

Science Friday ran a small segment on new battery tech awhile back:

http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment...ter-batteries/

I don't remember them mentioning John but they covered several things
being researched...

The following was thought to be close to production:

===
The most promising battery the documentary team came across is being
developed by Tufts University Professor Mike Zimmerman, Pogue says.
Hes confronted the problem of lithium-ions explosive liquids head on
€” by eliminating the liquids.

"He's made a solid sheet of a special plastic, a special polymer, that
lets the ions travel back and forth between the electrodes even better
than a liquid electrolyte does," Pogue says. "And yet, because its a
physical barrier, you cant short out like lithium-ion batteries can.