Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 8:47:31 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Fri, 07
Apr 2017 19:43:08 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 6:20:48 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
Sam E
Fri, 07 Apr 2017 00:39:54 GMT in
alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/06/2017 03:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox
will still support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly
a 'niche' browser.

You must not know much about calendars, it's already 2017.

Nice try.

Nice try at what? It is in fact already 2017.

It's not fall 2017 yet (when Firefox support ends).

When it might, possibly, end.

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurerelea...irefox-support
-for-xp-and-vista/

In approximately March, 2017, Windows XP and Vista users will
automatically be moved to the Firefox Extended Support Release
(ESR).

Firefox is one of the few browsers that continues to support
Windows XP and Vista, and we expect to continue to provide
security updates for users until September 2017. Users do not
need to take additional action to receive those updates. In
mid-2017, user numbers on Windows XP and Vista will be reassessed
and a final support end date will be announced.

Again, the context of the thread was upgrading hardware on an XP
system with the intention of using it into the future.

True so far.

So, let's get this right. Based on the above, it's your
professional opinion that relying on Firefox as a browser that
will run on XP for the future is a sound decision?

That's not what I wrote, Trader.

That's the context of the thread, where you started arguing that Firefox
is supported on XP, based on the fact that there currently is only
security updates left for Firefox and even that is scheduled to end in Sept.
I said one big problem with XP is that IDK of any browser that is still
supported under XP. That is true. Mozillar ended all support except
for security updates and even those are guaranteed only through Sept 2017.

But no, according to you, Firefox is still supported under XP. Who
should we believe? You or Mozilla?

Infact, I advised the OP not to
pursue XP 64bit or 'upgrade' to Windows 7, either; for the same
reason. He's only delaying the inevitable.

Oh, I see. But when I said IDK of any browsers that are still
supported on XP, you chimed in with "Firefox is still supported",
when the only support left is security updates and that for
5 months? WTF is wrong with you?

If he wants to run modern
hardware, he should go with a modern OS. Such as Linux, not Win****
10.

Is that what you'd tell a customer? A client?

That depends entirely on what the machine in question is being used
for. If it's running a CNC or plasma cutter in his shop, there's no
reason to 'upgrade' the OS. It might infact, disable the CNC machine
and/or plasma cutter.

Was the OP running a CNC machine? Try to stick to the context at least.

That while Mozilla has said they have already
discontinued all support except for security updates, that because
they have said they will continue to provide only security updates
for 5 months, that means it's supported and a swell choice? WTF?

Er, not quite, no. Still supported, yes.

IT's not supported when all support except for security updates has
ended. And quite remarkable that anyone would argue this, given that
even security updates are only guaranteed for 5 months. I told the
OP that IDK of any browsers supported on XP, meaning if he sticks
with XP, IDK what browser he can use for the future. YOU objected,
claiming I'm wrong to say that, because he can still get security
updates only for another 5 months? What is wrong with you?