Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Running a microwave oven (almost) empty

On 4/8/2017 8:44 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Here's a question for all the microwave experts. I know you shouldn't
run a microwave oven empty because of reflected energy back to the
magnetron. But how small can the food be to be safe? Like a tablespoon
of cat food? Or 2 pats of butter? One friend told me to always put a
small glass of water in the oven when heating small amounts of food. Any
ideas?

If I'm melting 2T of butter it i only running 30 seconds. I've never
had a problem doing it and the MW is over 15 years old. I'd not run it
long like that but never had to. Not the definitive answer, but it works
for me.