Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can A 12V Power Supply Wire Be Run Through A Wall?

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 12:33:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 23:57:35 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 17:18:04 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 15:35:14 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 11:05:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Is there any code-compliant way to plug a 12V power supply pod into an attic receptacle and
have the 12v wire run to a wall mounted device in the room below? The receptacle is close
enough to the device's location that the cord will easily reach. The device is up near the ceiling,
and we're trying to avoid running the power cord (or a track) up the wall, in plain sight.

Would this be considered a flexible cord under NEC 400 and therefore not allowed, even
though it's only 12V?

If we can't, we'll run Romex from the attic receptacle and install a receptacle for the pod. It
would just be neater (and easier) to use the attic receptacle.

Constructive ideas are always welcome.

To be safe, use "riser" cable (CLxR) "R" being the relevant factor.
No, to be safe use Plenum cable. Plenum cable meets a higherr
flamability standard than Riser and does not produce toxic fumes if
and when it is overheated or burned.

Certainly plenum rated cable is safer but not necessary unless this is
going through an air handling space,
Since he is penetrating a top plate to another floor it is a "riser".

In any case, he won't be using either if he just drops the end of the
cord from the wall wart down through the ceiling.

Not the plan as that would show. The plan would be to come out of the wall behind
the device so that no wires are showing.

Besides, whether it was plenum or riser wire, that would mean splicing the wire to
the wart's wire. There are no screw terminals on the wart, although that could certainly
be replaced with a screw terminal wart. However, that means that the proper plug at the
device end would be required - added to the new cable, either spliced from the old or
a new plug. Now things are getting ugly even if not showing.