Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can A 12V Power Supply Wire Be Run Through A Wall?

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 3:35:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 11:05:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Is there any code-compliant way to plug a 12V power supply pod into an attic receptacle and
have the 12v wire run to a wall mounted device in the room below? The receptacle is close
enough to the device's location that the cord will easily reach. The device is up near the ceiling,
and we're trying to avoid running the power cord (or a track) up the wall, in plain sight.

Would this be considered a flexible cord under NEC 400 and therefore not allowed, even
though it's only 12V?

If we can't, we'll run Romex from the attic receptacle and install a receptacle for the pod. It
would just be neater (and easier) to use the attic receptacle.

Constructive ideas are always welcome.

To be safe, use "riser" cable (CLxR) "R" being the relevant factor.

That's a fine suggestion, except that I'm talking about a basic 12VDC power
adapter with a molded case and wi

http://www.phidgets.com/images/3024_0_Web.jpg

I'm assuming that this can't just be plugged into the attic receptacle
and have the wire come through a hole in the wall.