Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding or Turning a Morse Taper?

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:49:22 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

My vote for "better" is to leave the boring head alone and use a
boring bar toolholder on the carriage.

-jsw

That is what I did. I have a lathe with a tool holding block on the compound. So I took a block of scrap steel and made it so it would fit in the tool holding block. Then put a sharp rod in the chuck and used it to scribe a line on the new block. So that line was on the centerline. So offset a bit higher and drilled a hole to hold the boring bar. When you are cutting on the lathe you want the tool to be a bit below centerline. But in boring you want it a bit high.

And then drilled some holes and tapped them for set screws to hold the boring bar.

So now I just have to put a boring bar in my block and put the block in the tool holder. No fiddling with shims

Dan