Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding or Turning a Morse Taper?

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 07:38:10 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Koller

By the way, why are you wanting to mount a boring head in the tailstock?
To set a center over in order to cut tapers?
Eric

Laziness!! Mainly I'd like it as a convenient way to make oddball size holes. I have a quick-change tool post with a boring bar attachment, but most of the time I use a turret tool holder on the compound. It's nicely adjusted so I don't like to remove it often. That's why I have a whole separate cross-slide for my milling attachment. Being able to swap a boring head into the tail stock seems like a convenient thing to do, assuming it's not too sloppy.

I think I am going to try to tool holder first, to make sure I like the way the boring head works. If it's ok, and just a bit sloppy, I might cut a taper on it directly to tighten it up.

Someone mentioned "save it for my Bridgeport". I wish!! I had an opportunity to pick up a Bridgeport for cheap from the same guy who I got my lathe from but at the time I didn't have any sensible way of getting half a ton or more of metal into my basement. And now I am married.

Dan

I thnk you will find that the boring head used in the tailstock will
make lousy holes. Especially if mounted in an adapter. I can already
hear the chatter. Since you are using a turret why not make a block to
hold a boring bar in the turret? If you mount the boring head in the
chuck you can bore the block exactly on the lathe center line. And, as
a bonus you can use the block to hold other centerline tools. Like if
you need to drill deep holes. Winding the tailstock in and out is way
slower than winding the carriage back and forth. Even if the block
holds the boring bar shank outboard of the turret it will be much more
rigid than the boring head hanging out of the tailstock quill.
Eric