Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel Koller Daniel Koller is offline

Default Grinding or Turning a Morse Taper?

By the way, why are you wanting to mount a boring head in the tailstock?
To set a center over in order to cut tapers?
Eric

Laziness!! Mainly I'd like it as a convenient way to make oddball size holes. I have a quick-change tool post with a boring bar attachment, but most of the time I use a turret tool holder on the compound. It's nicely adjusted so I don't like to remove it often. That's why I have a whole separate cross-slide for my milling attachment. Being able to swap a boring head into the tail stock seems like a convenient thing to do, assuming it's not too sloppy.

I think I am going to try to tool holder first, to make sure I like the way the boring head works. If it's ok, and just a bit sloppy, I might cut a taper on it directly to tighten it up.

Someone mentioned "save it for my Bridgeport". I wish!! I had an opportunity to pick up a Bridgeport for cheap from the same guy who I got my lathe from but at the time I didn't have any sensible way of getting half a ton or more of metal into my basement. And now I am married.

Dan