Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding or Turning a Morse Taper?

" wrote in message
Howdy,

Yes, this is sort of what I was thinking of doing to get the
initial angle close.

Out of curiosity, if I can only get but so close to the angle, is
it better for the male taper to be more conical or less conical than
the female for the best fit?

Dan

My vote for "better" is to leave the boring head alone and use a
boring bar toolholder on the carriage. Then all the factors that
contribute to deflection will remain constant as the cut advances into
the hole.

Before finding a proper one I adapted a boring head with a Morse #2
arbor to the Brown & Sharpe #7 spindle of my mill by shimming with a
ring of aluminum auto body repair tape. It was good enough to cut
holes for panel meters, but not when I needed to accurately bore a
replacement bushing in a hydraulic pump.
-jsw