Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Vacuum cleaner amperage and suction power relationship

On 4/5/2017 8:51 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 05:12:49 -0700, Bob F opined:

Try using one of your new vacs to reverse suction the whole house
system. Maybe you can clear the obstruction.

If it has good suction at the motor, the tube is plugged.

If suction is low at the motor, there is a leak or the motor is bad.

That's a GREAT idea!

Remove the vac cover and filter 1st. You could even blow from the vac
end with an air compressor, leaf blower, or even the output of another
vac at the same time. If the inlet connection to the vac unit is
removable, you could even try using your hose connected to the vac,
going to the house vac inlets to reverse clean them.

Does your vac have more than one motor? One motor could be bad, and
effectively "short circuit" the airflow from the other the others. I
have a used unit I got free that has a flaky circuit breaker on one of
the motors so it needs to be tapped to get it working.

I had asked two years ago how to debug the whole house system:
How do you debu low suction in a central vacuum system?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....w/C-a-6iiVHrMJ

I eventually gave up because I think the problem may be inside the walls.

I didn't have the additional vacuum cleaners at that time, but now that I
do, I can take the most powerful one and see if it can suction the wall.

I thought of snaking the wall outlets but I don't know what the material is
made up of so I didn't want to risk puncturing the tubes inside the wall
with my 75-foot snake.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7573/1...fb4ff8bd_c.jpg

They in wall pipes should be pvc pipe with wide bends - considerable
tougher than that hose.