Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinons on AC brands Rheem, Trane, Westinghouse

On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 15:56:36 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 19:58:09 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

Are Daiken central heat & air great units to have installed when replacing central units?

Back to the beginning - a 3 ton unit is WAY too big for a 1000 sq ft
house. Whoever is selling you that should be strung up and taught
their business.. It will never run long enough to effectively reduce
humidity.

I just ran a basic whole house manual J on my 2 story house with
finished basement in Waterloo. I was conservative - going for the low
end of insulation, overestimating window space etc to make sure my
requirements would err on the high side, not the low. The house is
635sq ft per floor with 7.5 foot ceilings, brick bottom, aluminum
siding on top.

Comes out to 24516 heating load and 8746 cooling.
The furnace I installed 14 years ago is a 35000/50000 btu 2 stage -
the smallest Tempstar I could buy - and the AC is a 1.5 ton and it
doesn't control humidity as well as I would like because it doesn't
run enough. The furnace runs on low output virtually all the time it
runs - only kicks on high on a REAL cold day when warming up from
setback - if then. It has always been my impressin the furnace is also
oversized - supported by the Manual J calculations..

On REALLY hot humid days (95F and 95%) the AC runs about 50% of the
time - 12 hours out of 24 - mabee up to 14.
On REAlLY cold days - 20F, The furnace might run for 9 hours out of 24