Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Germanium Diode Data sheets

On 4/5/2017 10:02 AM, wrote:
It seems the most "famous" germanium diode was the 1N34(A). Heck, I
remember that number from way back....

I googled up a data sheet for ALL germanium diodes. (Assuming they are
all listed), it seems there are about 20 of them.

The 1N60 is another common one, along with 1N270.

Anyhow, my reason for an interest in them is because I'm making up some
RF probes for my old oscilloscope and other test gear. These probes are
very simple, a cap, resistor and a diode. Making up a suitable housing
is more troublesome than the electronics within them.

I downloaded a bunch of schematics from the old Heathkits and Eico kits
and others. They are all pretty much the same, except some use the 1N34
while others use the 1N60. One of these has a slightly higher PIV (I
forget which one). Otherwise they dont seem too much different.

I am just wondering why some use 1N34 while others use 1N60? (and none
use any of the other germanium diodes). Is there any advantage or
disadvantage to either of them?

Also, why dont they use Silicon Diodes?

1N21