Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Germanium Diode Data sheets

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 11:24:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The 1N34 series is very often used in crystal radios - that should indicate the 'why' as
compared to silicon diodes. It has to do with sensitivity at very low voltages.

There are silicon-based probes today, but germanium for the sensitivity is still preferred.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

OK, that makes sense....

Is there any reason to choose 1N34 versus 1N60, or will both work
equally? Of the schematics I have, both were used.

I have to buy some either way, but they are cheap on ebay, like 10 of
them for around $2.50 so it's no big cost. I just need to determine
which one to buy. (Or the 1N270 are also quite available too).