Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Lorry overtaking ban, M11

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 13:08:09 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , AnthonyL

On 2017-04-03, Fredxxx wrote:
On 03/04/2017 10:17, Jethro_uk wrote:

[27 lines snipped]

Building extra roads creates traffic.

Untrue.

Of course it's true. Before we had roads there was no traffic.

Think about it.

Yes there was and you are a troll.

What traffic, people walking through the forest?

You've missed the point and you've missed the point of roads.

There are journeys made now that wouldn't have been made if the roads
weren't there. I certainly think nothing of going to see someone 100
miles away that when I started driving would have been a two day trip
to make it worthwhile.

The whole idea of roads is to carry traffic and just about every time
a new route is opened or improved then new traffic will find its way
there.

The A42/M42 when first opened was quiet. I could traverse its length
M1 to M5 in around 40-45 mins on runs down to Exeter early in the
morning, a business run that 50 years ago couldn't be reasonably done
in a day.

The reason that we still keep getting traffic flow issues is not the
building of the roads, its that we're simply not keeping up with the
demand that is there, so by the time a road is built, or expanded, the
pressure has reformed.

--
AnthonyL