Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme[_7_] Graeme[_7_] is offline

Default Dinky Toys string

In message ,
harry writes
On Monday, 27 March 2017 08:33:24 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

Interesting comment. The tinplate 0 gauge world is split - there are
those who search for the very best examples which must have the original
box, tested ticket, guarantee, instructions etc., and wheels never touch
rails. Shelf queens, as the Americans say.

I can't imagine how such stuff could exist.
Can you imagine getting a toy train for Christmas and not playing with it?
Or did people buy stuff and stash it away as an investment years ago.

I think it was more that a new train set or similar was a fairly major
purchase for ordinary people, and Junior was supervised, and knew he
would get a wallop if he destroyed his expensive toy.

Most of the stuff I had for Christmas back in the fifties was second
hand. As it was for virtually everybody I knew.

Agreed. My 'major' presents such as my first clockwork Hornby set and
later Hornby Dublo were bought second hand. Other things like a wooden
garage and later, a fort, were home made, probably from Hobbies plans.
Perhaps 'based on' Hobbies plans is more accurate. My poor old Dad was
not that good with DIY.

I was taken to see Father Christmas at Gamages each year, and one year
the gift was a set of soldiers, which I think must have been Britains.
Anyway, joy of joys, that was the same year my Christmas present was a
wooden fort. Serendipity? Even better, later the 'free gift' in
Kellogg's cereals was a soldier, too. Still have several Kellogg's
marching bandsmen.
--
Graeme