Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors?

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 10:06:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

I'm framing a laundry closet in the basement for side-by-side washer and dryer. The doorway I made is 72" wide. My first thought was to install two 3ft wide bifold doors (one on either side). A neighbor suggested a pair of french doors (each 3ft wide). His thought is that bifolds get a bit wonky over time and a set of french doors (no glass panels) would be sturdier.
I have the swing space in front of this closet for either type, so that's no concern.
Does anyone have a strong pro or con on either type of door based on experience?
Or is this just a subjective decision?

Thanks
Theodore

It's a coin flip. The French doors would need to open outward. Bi
fold (metal louvered) would be extending out less and give some
ventilation when closed. Two cents :-)