Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Recommendation for cordless drill/saw??

I have a big pile of 20 year old cordless drills and saws.
I have a big pile of batteries.
So, might be time for a new drill.
Early lithium batteries weren't up to the task.
Are the newer ones reliable?
Anybody have experience with the Kobalt 24-volt brand at Lowes?
I won't be using it much, so don't need super quality,
just want it to work when I need it.
I don't want to spend a fortune, so looking at
the stuff you get at Lowes or home depot on sale.

You get what you pay for. The money you have spent on that "pile" of
drills and batteries would have been better invested in a good quality tool
that lasts.

I have had exactly TWO cordless drills over the last 16 years or so.

The first was an 18V Craftsman brand. It worked well but the NimH batteries
didn't hold up as well. I had to buy new batteries every few years and they
weren't cheap.

Several years ago I bought a Dewalt 20V drill with lithium batteries. So
far I haven't had to replace a single battery. They all hold a charge as
well as the day I bought it. Over the years I've added a variety of Dewalt
20V tools to my collection, including lights and impact drivers.

I recommend staying with the major brands, Dewalt, Milwaukie, Bosch, etc.
as you can buy them just about anywhere. This lets you shop around for the
best price and replacement batteries and other tools are widely available.
I typically buy mine online from Amazon and they get shipped right to my
door.

If you buy a store brand like Kobalt, Rigid, Ryobi, etc. you're basically
stuck buying them at the one store (Home Depot or Lowes). You can't shop
around for better pricing or better selection, and if the store is out of
stock you're out of luck.

Based on my own experience, I would choose Dewalt's 20V tools.

Good luck!

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com