Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Vacuum cleaner amperage and suction power relationship

1. Whole house (the motor works fine but there's almost no suction).
It used to work. Something is either stuck in the main tube or there is a
tear in the tubing. I can't find it since it must be within the walls.
So it's essentially useless.

Try using one of your new vacs to reverse suction the whole house
system. Maybe you can clear the obstruction.
If it has good suction at the motor, the tube is plugged.
If suction is low at the motor, there is a leak or the motor is bad.

Over about 30 years of using central vac in two homes -
I think that I've had maybe 3 or 4 clogs - all were in the hose -
not in the vac line. Just sayin' ...
You can tell by the sound of the vac machine if it's a clog -
- over-working, high pitch - as opposed to a broken line -
the sound would be normal, but no suction. You might also hear the
location of the break inside the wall - it would noisy unless it was
a big open disconnection...
If the hose is __definitely not__ the problem - check & snake the
inlet to the vac machine.
Good luck.
John T.