Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vacuum cleaner amperage and suction power relationship

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 02:32:24 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 22:20:01 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

And what do you do with these 4 vacuum cleaners?

Actually five.

1. Whole house (the motor works fine but there's almost no suction).
It used to work. Something is either stuck in the main tube or there is a
tear in the tubing. I can't find it since it must be within the walls.
So it's essentially useless.

2. Costco 8 amp wet/dry vac. It's OK but not all that good. I like that it
doesn't use bags, but that's about all I like about it.

That's what I used until I picked up these three to choose one from:
http://i.cubeupload.com/JCucWV.gif

One will stay in the garage (for the cars).
One will stay in the cleaning closet (for the upper floors).
One will stay downstairs (for the lower floors)

But this whole question is off topic since all I really wanted to know is
how people felt about using amperage as a guide to suction power.

Amperage is only one indicator and doesn't tell you a whole lot - it
depends on the efficiency. A combination of water column and CFM is
required to really analyze a vacuum.
My current system has an 8.4 inch Tangential bypass motor. I was
wrong on my last post - it's not Elite, it's Signature.
It is rated at 675 air watts and 147" vacuum.. It is also rated at
12.7 amps, whichn is an HONEST 2 HP (1524 watts) which means it needs
a dedicated 15 amp circuit.

For all you ever wanted to know, and more - including all the
terminology, see: http://canavac.com/buyers-guide/