Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
AMuzi AMuzi is offline

Default I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can theydo it?)

On 4/2/2017 3:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/02/2017 12:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/2/2017 1:00 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/02/2017 11:08 AM, Jonas Schneider wrote:

Even bicycle tires are not exempt. Want to know the
rationale behind my recent purchase of a set of Serfas
Drifters?

Here's a guess. You couldn't find a Michelin City tire.

Not in 26" at the local REI, just 27". The tires I replaced
were Continental Town & Country. They were my favorites
years ago but then I couldn't find them. They reappeared so
I got a set. Meanwhile, Continental had switched production
to India or China. I bought them in June of 2015. As I
pumped them up to 65 psi this spring, I heard an odd,
tearing noise. It was the sidewall cords ripping apart.
Looking on the forums, early sidewall failure is common with
the new manufacture. So much for T&C.

Before the Contis I'd been running Ritchey Tom Slicks.
They'll take a higher pressure and are faster but I found
them to be high maintenance. I'll see how the Serfas do. At
least running 65 psi instead of 90 softens some of the bumps
and I'm not racing.

My other Mtn bike has knobbies and when I do ride on
pavement it seems like a lot of work compared to the slicks
or inverted tread.

Agreed on the Ritchey. That's a Panaracer product; very
light, very fast, uniform, smooth ride. A fine weave fabric
but doesn't suffer abuse well. Different customer from a
Serfas or a Michelin.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/