Bill Ranseen

Default Front Loading Washers

In article , Ken Schumm
wrote:

On 16 Aug 2003 08:40:55 -0700, (Stephen
Gallagher) wrote:

My parents (in Florida) need a new washer and when
I suggested they they consider a front loader, their
neighbor who is an appliance repairman said not to
get one, as he gets too many repair calls on them.
He didn't mention any specific make or model.

What do most people think? Do they, generally,
fail more often than top loaders?

I've had an Asko for ten years or so and have had one service call:
turned out to be a blown fuse (I shouldda been able to figure that one
out). I really like the Asko: uses a lot less water and detergent than
conventional top loaders, does a better cleaning job, and the spin cycle
gets a good deal more water out of the clothes, resulting in less power
required in the drier. They aren't for everybody, tho: capacity is
smaller (~80% average top load), the controls on mine are a bit quirky,
and they're pricey (tho efficiency may pay you back). Check out Consumer
Reports reviews (I think they had one a few months ago).