Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can theydo it?)

On 4/2/2017 1:08 PM, Jonas Schneider wrote:

Certainly higher-quality food, for example, would be in demand, but, it's
well known in the grocery business that when fruits and vegetables are
plentiful, the price goes down and the quality goes up.

When it's off season, or if there was a drought, the price goes up and the
quality goes down.

Chicken wings used to be cheap. I remember years ago buying a 5 pound
bag for a quarter. Yes, 5 cents a pound or in today's money, about 36
cents a pound. Since becoming popular they are selling for about $2,50
a pound. For dinner tonight I'm making thighs on sale for 99 cents.

Is it just me, or do we get fewer flats nowadays?
I remember, as a kid, that I got flats in my bias-ply tires rather
frequently. Now I only get about one or two flats a year.

Far fewer flats. Less destructive too, in a sense. Seems they lose air
slower so that nail may be in there and give you a day or two hint you
have a problem. (assuming you look at the tires once in a while) Goes
low slow so you can drive to a place to take care of it instead of in
the dark on the highway.

Now we get to the point of deciding how to buy a tire!
What matters is what matters to you.

My selection process is as easy as simple math, but my purely logical
selection process requires technical knowledge sufficient to understand the
specs printed on the sidewall of every tire.

I didn't look at the sidewall specs of all those tires, but my process
would be the same with choosing your tire as with choosing mine.

A. There are no absolutes when tradeoffs are involved, but generally:
1. I would compare everything against the OEM tire spec!
2. That is, any tire that meets OEM specs goes on the short list.
3. And any tire that fails any of the OEM specs, is tossed out.

B. Then I would rate highest what I care about most.
1. If that is wet traction, then I'd put the AA tires on top.
2. But if that was treadwear, I'd put the 500s above the 100s.
3. If it was price, then the cheapest OEM-spec tire would be on top.

One by one, I'd rank the tires in the order of the specs I care about.
Assuming it was wettraction/treadwear/price, then I would rank like this:

Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I'll be looking for tires
in the fall and will use that process. In the past, snow was a factor,
but now that I'm retired, I may never intentionally drive in snow again.
Sure, it can happen but planning ahead eliminates 99% of it.