Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Drain motor for Whirlpool WDF750SAYW0.

wrote:
What Phil does not understand is how label requirements work in the
US. If the motor is labeled "40W", then the maximum free turning
running (not starting) load should not exceed 40W, full stop. That
part will have a UR label and manufacturers use the nameplate rating
to calculate, in turn the entire draw of the appliance for its label.
Imagine if any random part might pull a constant 2.2 x its rating on
a whim?

If it is pulling 100 watts, and if it is vibrating, then it is
clearly damaged and should be replaced. Even low-quality appliances
such as most Whirlpool products are, typically, would not tolerate a
vibrating motor in that application. I suspect that a motor bearing
has gone oval. So the shaft is vibrating against the housing when it
spins and starting is very hard, if at all

Again, replace it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Hi Peter,

This morning I hooked it up via a Kill A Watt meter.whose reading adjusts
for power factor. It read between 23-32 watts. When I gently put my finger
on the center of the spinning impeller to see how it would be affected, it
became even more erratic. I will replace it.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA