Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding or Turning a Morse Taper?

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 5:35:33 PM UTC-4, Daniel Koller wrote:

I've never cut a taper before, and I need to get this one right to make sure I don't screw up my boring head, so advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

My advice would be to find a piece of scrap stock and cut a morse taper on it. I think you can just use hss to cut the taper. Having made a taper, you can judge if it is exactly the right angle, how smooth the finish needs to be, etc. When you get an acceptable taper, leave the compound at that angle and cut the taper on the boring bar shank.

Is the shank part of the boring bar? Most boring bars screw onto a shank.

Dan