Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Van Norman Mill

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 00:36:54 -0700 (PDT), Brock
wrote:

Hello, my 1st thread here.
I recently bought a Van Norman 24MLA. It uses the round bar overarm. I don't believe the overarm has ever been used & the overarm supports lend to the idea. Is there some special way of unlocking the overarm from it's fully retracted position? I have removed both binders & soaked the arm with WD40. I am prepared to hook up a 10 ton portapower to make it move - but do not want to damage anything. The manual takes for granted I know more than I do. The blow up drawings simply show a round rod installed with 2 binders & nothing else to hinder it's movement.

All input welcome (except the politics WOW).

Its probably rusted into place. Less likely is its jammed into place.
Remove the 2 " locks" and spray the snot out of everything with
either Kroil or P'Blaster and let it sit for a day or so. If it still
wont move, take a 4x4 and have someone hold it on the ass end of the
overarm and smack the 4x4 with a sledgehammer. Now...does this one
have a rack that pulls and pushes the overarm? Some do. Make sure one
of those "locks" is not a lock, but a lever to turn the gear on the
rack.

I had a Van Norman #36 for a couple years, but its a flat dovetail
machine (with 1 lock and 1 crank)

https://goo.gl/photos/7LBcBhvfD1MVWB5n8

Gunner

---